Bookmark and Share
Share our website with
your neighbors and friends




Project Progress

Process - remove photo from frame, scan, catalog, post to website, reframe, rehang in Town Hall with description labels

Phase 1 - 15 photos, complete, begins on this page here
Phase 2
- 20 photos, complete, begins on this page here
Phase 3
- 18 photos, complete, begins on this page here
 


Special Gift
A special commemorative
photo gift for you from the
Gilbert Collection
click here



Comments welcome

Contact information for the Town Clerk and Webmaster is available on the Town Staff page or by clicking here.  Please refer to the photograph # at the end of each photograph description when communicating with staff.



Phase 2
Photo Contents

Click on the individual images below to jump to a larger image and description on the right side of this page.
1st addition to new brick courthouse - Hot Sulphur Springs
1st Addition to New Brick Courthouse - 1938

Last stage out of Hot Sulphur - 1905
East End Byers Canyon Before railraod - Hot Sulphur Springs
Byers Canyon Before Railroad
Yampa Valley Mail Train - Byers Canyon, Hot Sulphur Springs
Yampa Valley Mail Train

Hot Sulphur Springs from top of Big Ski Jump - 1914
Hot Sulphur Springs - Sept 15 1905
Hot Sulphur Springs
Sept 15 1905
Hot Sulphur Springs Boy Scout Troop - 1950s
Hot Sulphur Springs
Boy Scout Troop - 1950s
Fount McQueary's Livery Stable - Hot Sulphur Springs
Fount McQueary's Livery Stable
Hot Sulphur Springs Board Walk
Hot Sulphur's Board Walk
Hot Sulphur Springs Bath House - 1871
Hot Sulphur Springs
Bath House - 1871
Hot Sulphur Springs Dry Goods
Hot Sulphur Springs Dry Goods
Hot Suphur Springs Depot
Hot Sulphur Springs Depot
Byers Canyon, Hot Sulphur Springs, 1920
Byers Canyon - 1920
Hot Sulphur Springs Colorado - 1915
Hot Sulphur Springs - 1915
Hot Sulphur Springs 1938
Hot Sulphur Springs - 1938
Hot Sulphur Springs 1954
Hot Sulphur Springs - 1954
Sulphur Days 1976
Sulphur Days 1976
Snowmobiling in Hot Sulphur Springs
Snowmobiling in
Hot Suphur Springs
Old School House - Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado
Old School House
3rd School Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado
3rd School, now GC Museum


 

Paul Gilbert Photo Collection - Phase 2


Hot Sulphur Springs Dry Goods

In order to facilitate a faster download and simpler navigation, we have created three separate pages for each of the three phases of this preservation project.  This is Phase 2 of the project will contain twenty individual photographs.

For greater details about this project, please go to the main Paul F. Gilbert Photo Collection web page or click here.



Note: All of the photographic images below have imbeded links to individual images that open in a separate browser window.  Please click on the photograph itself for a standalone image.  Use Control + (PC) or Command + (Mac) keys to enlarge (zoom) the individual expanded images further.


1st Addition to New Brick Courthouse - 1938


1st Addition of New Brick Courthouse - Hot Sulphur Springs

Notes on the back of this photograph state, "C 1938, Building 1st addition to New brick courthouse."  The building in the right backbround is the Hot Sulphur Springs Community Church and the building on the left is the Lew Wallace house now part of the Canyon Motel.  The courthouse is located on the southwest corner of U.S. 40/Byers Avenue and Maple Street.  The individuals in the photograph are unknown.  Photograph #116

Last Stage Out of Hot Sulphur - 1905


Last stage out of Hot Sulphur Springs - 1905

Notes on the back of this photograph state, "Last stage out of Hot Sulphur, 1905, Charles Purcell driving."  Mount Bross is in the background.  The stagecoach route went over Cottonwood Pass and was used from 1874 until the railroad arrived in Hot Sulphur Springs in 1905.  More information about the stage and freight lines in Grand County may be found on the Grand County History website by clicking here.  Charlie Purcell may also be seen in Photograph #101 in Phase 1 shown here.  Passengers unknown.  Photographer unknown.  Photograph #117

Byers Canyon Before the Railroad


Byers Canyon Before the Railroad

On the back of this photograph is written, "East end Byers Canyon before the railraod, Note First wagon road through Byers Canyon."  Although the date of this photograph is unknown, we know that it is before 1905, since the railroad was constructed through Byers Canyon at that time.  Acording to the Grand County History website time line, this wagon road was begun in 1893.  Photographer unknown.  Photograh #118

Yampa Valley Mail


Yampa Valley Mail

On the back of this photograph in the lower right hand corner is written, "Stop and let you on , Flag it down, Yampa Valley Mail."  It is fairly certain that this is an east bound train in Byers Canyon.  At one time this train had a western termination of Craig, Colorado.  More information about the Yampa Vallley Mail Train may be found online.  Date of photograph unknown.  Photographer unknown.  Photograph #119

Hot Sulphur Springs from Big Ski Jump - 1914


Written on the back of this photograph is, "Hot Sulphur Springs 1914, Taken from the top of Big Ski Jump."  Another image from this collection is photogrpah #113 in Phase 1 shown here, showing a ski jumper taking off from the Big Ski Jump in 1916.  The Grand (now Colorado) River may be seen meandering across the photograph behind the town and the long eight-windowed Grand Hotel may be seen in the lower center of the image.  In the center of the photograph is a large oval which may be where local indians raced their horses.  Photographer unknown.  Photograph #120

Hot Sulphur Springs - Sept 15 1905


Hot Sulphur Springs - Sept 15 1905

On the back of this photograph is written only "Sept 15 1905".  Looking east from above the hot springs the Moffat Road railroad is in the foreground.  In the center of the image is the eight-windowed Grand Hotel with the County Courthouse and Hot Sulphur Springs Community Church behind the hotel.  Photographer unknown.  Photograph #121

Hot Sulphur Springs Boy Scout Troop - 1950s


Hot Sulphur Springs Boy Scout Troop - 19502

Written on the back of this photograph is, "HSS Boy Scout Troop, Scout Leader Dave THompson, Paul Gilbert, 1950s".  Paul Gilbert is the gentelman standing on the far left.  It is assumed then that the gentleman standing on the far right is the other scout leader, Dave Thompson.  Photographer unknown.  Photograph #122

Fount McQueary's Livery Stable


Fount McQueary's Livery Stable - Hot Sulphur Springs

Written on the back of this photograph is, "Fount McQuearys Livery Stable, Hot Sulphur Springs."  The individuals in the photograph as well as the location in Hot Sulphur of this livery are unknown.  Note that a different name beginning with the initials W.E. appears on the livery door.  The date of the photograph and photographer are unknown. Photograph #123

Hot Sulphur's Board Walk


Hot Sulphur Spring's Board Walk

Written on the back of this photograph is "Hot Sulphur's Board Walk."  Looking west down Grand Avenue the board walks may be seen on both sides of the street with Maple Street just past the two homes on the right.  The first home on the right is a rental home built by Solomon Jones in 1903 and the next home is the Crawford cabin built in 1874.  The Grand Hotel on Aspen Street can be seen on the left edge of the image.  Photographer and date of photograph are unknown.  Photograph #124

Hot Sulphur Springs Bath House - 1871


Hot Sulphur Springs Bath House - 1871

Written on the back of this photograph is "Hot Sulphur Springs Bath House, 1871, Chamberlin Photo."  It is believed that the photograph was taken by W.G. (William Gunnison) Chamberlain (1815-1910) who is credited with a similar photoghraph that appears in the Denver Public Library Western History Collection taken about the same time.  In that photograph, the building on the right is described as a very early house belonging to Frank Byers.  Photograph #125

Hot Sulphur Springs Dry Goods


Hot Sulphur Springs Dry Goods

There is nothing written on the back of this photograph, however, this appears to be a dry goods store that has existed on this site under different owners for some time on the south side of Grand Avenue between Aspen and Spring Streets next to Antlers Hotel and Saloon.  Note the name Griffith's on the frontage sign which may be either an owner's name or a product name.  Photographer and date of photograph unknown.  Photograph #126

Hot Sulphur Springs Depot


Hot Sulphur Springs Depot

Only "HSS Depot" is written on the back of this photograph.  Although the date is unknown it would need to be after 1905 when the Moffat Road Railroad came through Hot Sulphur Springs.  The crossing in the foreground should be approximately the same location as today's crossing.  No signs of the depot or the water tank remain.  Photograph #127


Byers Canyon - 1920


On the back of this photograph is a stamp with the following fields filled in, "Date - 20 [1920]; Subject - Byers Canyon; Donor - USFS [United States Forest Service]."  Looking in a westward direction down river the railroad is on the right where the wagon road once existed.  Note that there is yet no road on the east side of the river as there is now.  Photograph #128

Hot Sulphur Springs - 1915


Hot Sulphur Springs Colorado 1915

This is the same photograph as #114 in Phase 1 that has lines drawn with building identifiers by Horace Button.  The only thing written on the back of this photograph is the year 1915 and then C 1915.  Photgraph #129


Hot Sulphur Springs - 1938


Hot Sulphur Springs 1938

This photograph appears to be the same as #116 above from 1938 titled "1st Addition to New Brick Court House".  Nothing is written on the back of this photograph.  Photograph #130


Hot Sulphur Springs - 1954



Hot Sulphur Springs 1954.  Looking west down Grand Avenue, the Bank Block is on the southwest (left) corner and the Riverside Garage is on the northwest (right) corner of Grand Avenue and Aspen Street.  Connelly's Cafe & Bar with the Coors sign is on the left.  Vera's Cafe is on the right where later the M Bar 11 would be.  The event and nose-pushing activity are not known.  Hot Sulphur Days began in 1964 ten years after this photograph was taken, although this could have been a precursor.  Photograph #131

Sulphur Days - 1976


Sulphur Days 1976 - Hot Suphur Springs, Colorado

A collection of photographs made into a collage of the 12th Sulphur Days event.  Written on the back of this photograph in pencil is '989.'  If you know any of the individuals in the images above or below, please let us know.  Photograph #132

Below are three of the images cropped from the collage above.  The first image (#132a) is of five gentelmen in from of the Bank Block on the southwest corner of Grand Avenue and Aspen Street.  The second image (#132b) is looking west down Grand Avenue at Aspen Street.  The third image (132c) is of five gentlemen at an unknown location.  Click on each image to open in a separate browser window then use CTRL + or CMND + to enlarge from there.

Sulphur Days 1976 in front of Bank Block - Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado Sulphur Days 1976 at Grand Avenue & Aspen Street - Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado  Sulphur Days 1976 5 more gentelemen - Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado

Snowmobiling in Hot Sulphur Springs


Snowmobiling in Hot Sulphur Springs

There is nothing written on the back of this photograph, however, it's clear that people are enjoying an unknown snowmobiling event in Pioneer Park in Hot Sulphur Springs.  Although the date of this photograph is unknown, you can see that the bridge over the Colorado River in the center right of the frame is not the same bridge as today.  Photograph #133

Old School House


Old School House - Hot Sulphur Springs

Writen on the back of this photograph is "Old School House, Historical Museum."  Although there is no date on the photograph you can see some perspective from the lack of homes around the site.  Compare with Photograph #135 of the same building below.  Looking in an easterly direction, this is the corner of Byers Avenue and 1st Street.  Photograph #134

3rd School


3rd School - Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado

Written on the back of this photograph is, "3rd School, Now GC Museum."  Looking in a nortwesterly direction, located on the northeast corner of Byers Avenue and 1st Street in Hot Sulphur Springs.  The date of this photograph is unknown.  Compare with Photograph #134 above.  Photograph #135