Bookmark and Share
Share our website with
your neighbors and friends




Project Progress

Process - remove photo from frame, scan, catalog, post to website, reframe, rehang in Town Hall with description labels

Phase 1 - 15 photos, complete, begins on this page here
Phase 2
- 20 photos, complete, begins on this page here
Phase 3
- 18 photos, complete, begins on this page here
 


Special Gift
A special commemorative
photo gift for you from the
Gilbert Collection
click here



Comments welcome

Contact information for the Town Clerk and Webmaster is available on the Town Staff page or by clicking here.  Please refer to the photograph # at the end of each photograph description when communicating with staff.



Phase 1
Photo Contents

Click on the individual images below to jump to a larger image and description on the right side of this page.
Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado with building identifiers - date unknown
Hot Sulphur Springs with Building Identifiers - 1915
Hot Sulphur Springs Riverside Garage - 1914
Riverside Garage - 1914
Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado - 1905
Hot Sulphur Springs - 1905
Hot Sulphur Springs Fish Fry Crowd (Park Hotel) - 1912
Fish Fry Crowd - 1912
Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado Adams Mercantile & Kennedy Post Office - 1900
Adams Mercantile - 1900
Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado Moffat Road by L.C. McClure - 1906
Moffat Road by McClure - 1906
Camping in Hot Sulphur Springs Park - 1900
Camping in HSS Park - 1900
Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado - 1890
Hot Sulphur Springs - 1890
Hot Sulphur Springs McQueary House Hotel and Stage Stop - date unknown
McQueary House Hotel
Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado early panorama - date unknown
Hot Sulphur Springs Panorama
Mitten Rock, Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado
Mitten Rock

First School in Hot Sulphur Springs
Nate Shore on wagon - Hot Sulphur Springs
Nate Shore on Wagon
Big Ski Jump - Hot Sulphur Springs
Big Ski Jump


 

Paul Gilbert Photo Collection - Phase 1


Hot Sulphur Springs Moffat Road by L.C. McClure


In order to facilitate a faster download and simpler navigation, we have created three separate pages for each of the three phases of this preservation project.  This is Phase 1 of the project that contains fifteen individual photographs.

For greater details about this project, please go to the main Paul F. Gilbert Photo Collection web page or click here.




Note: All of the photographic images below have imbeded links to individual images that open in a separate browser window.  Please click on the photograph itself for a standalone image.  Use Control + (PC) or Command + (Mac) keys to enlarge (zoom) the individual expanded images further.


Hot Sulphur Springs with Identifiers - 1915


Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado with building identifiers - date unknown

Please click on the photograph itself for a larger image.
Use Control + (PC) or Command + (Mac) keys to enlarge (zoom) image.

The photograph above is one of the images from a collection of fifty-three given to the Town of Hot Sulphur Springs by the photographer Paul Gilbert and currently displayed in the Town Hall at 513 Aspen Street.  The hand-written description information was provided by Horrace Button, a resident of Hot Sulphur Springs.  We assume that the hand writing itself is by the photographer.  Please note the "This may not be correct" comment in the lower right-hand corner.  By the way, the current Town Hall is across Aspen Street to the left of where the Hotel Grand used to be located and the Grand Hotel is where the liquor store, thrift store, laundromat used to be.  Also in the collection is the same photograph without identifiers that has the date "1915" written on the back.  Photograph #114

For a PDF file of this photograph along with a list of the descriptive building identifiers, please click here.

Riverside Garage - 1914


Hot Sulphur Springs Riverside Garage - 1914

A note on the back of this photograph of the Riverside Garage and the Riverside Hotel on Grand Avenue states "Abut 1914".  At that time the garage building shared a common wall with the hotel building.  The current Riverside Garage brick structure was built at a later date to the east of the hotel.  Note the gas pump on the edge of the sidewalk under the sign.  The individuals in front of the garage are not identified.  Photograph #102

Hot Sulphur Springs - 1905


Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado - 1905

Downtown Hot Sulphur Springs at the corner of Aspen Street and Grand Avenue looking west, c. 1905.  You can see the bridge over the Grand River at the end of the street.  The Grand River name was changed to the Colorado River in 1921.  The Bank Block that burned down in 1977 is on the left.  The original Riverside Hotel and Riverside Garage are on the right.  The vacant lot on the right is where the current brick Riverside Garage now stands.  According to Denver Public Library records, the Riverside Hotel was built in 1903 and remodeled in 1983.  Photograph #111

Fish Fry Crowd (Park Hotel) - 1912


Hot Sulphur Springs Fish Fry Crowd (Park Hotel) - 1912

Fish Fry Crowd next to the Park Hotel in Hot Sulphur Springs in 1912.  A note on the back of the photograph states "Fish Fry Crowd - 2 tubs of fish from North Park".  This is the west side of the same building that was the McQueary House and the Stagecoach Stop in Hot Sulphur.  The current structure at 412 Nevava Street is located at the southeast corner of Nevava and Aspen Streets and was last operated as a Bed & Breakfast and Cafe in 1911.  It is currently for sale.  Photograph #112

Adams Mercantile & Kennedy Post Office - 1900


On the back of the photograph is written "Adams Merc CO and Kennedy P.O. Hot Sulphur Springs About 1900".  These buildings were located on the northeast corner of Grand Avenue and Aspen Street.  Adams Mercantile on the left later became Morgan's Hardware store and that lot is currently vacant.  The Kennedy Post Office on the right later became the M-Bar 11 cafe.  That lot is currently occupied by a mixed use residential and commercial building.  Photograph #106

Moffat Road by L.C. McClure - 1906


On the back of this photograph is written "Hot Sulphur Springs - Moffat Road - McClure 1906."  The Moffat Road refers to the Denver, Northwestern and Pacific Railway that cuts across the center of the photograph in front of the Colorado (then called Grand) River.  The hot springs is in the foreground and on the other side of the track on the center left edge of the photo is the Hot Sulphur Station Depot.  The photographer Louis Charles (LC) McClure was a student of western photographer William Henry Jackson.  Photograph #104

Camping in HSS Park - 1900


On the back of this photograph is written "Camping in Hot Sulphur Springs Park About 1900."  The photograph appears to be taken in the vicinity of the railroad in the previous photo looking in a westerly direction with the base of Mount Bross in the background and the hot springs towards the left side outside this image.  Photograph #108

Hot Sulphur Springs - 1890


Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado - 1890

On the back of this photograph is written "H.S.S. 1890" which is 30 years after Hot Sulphur Springs was founded in 1860.  This view is looking east with the Grand (Colorado) River in the lower left hand corner and 'Potato Hill' in the center background where the current double (auto and rail road) bridges exist.  Photograph #105

McQueary House Hotel and Stage Stop


Hot Sulphur Springs McQueary House Hotel and Stage Stop - date unknown

The McQueary House Hotel and Hot Sulphur Springs Stage Coach Stop, date unknown.  This is the same building as the later Park Hotel in photograph #112 above located on the southeast corner of Nevava Street and Aspen Street.  A McQueary relative on an ancestry.com web site page has identified those in the photo as "Charlie Purcell, driver, Frank, Hazel, Fount, Carl, and Earl McQueary; probably Charley Pine by the house.  Fount McQueary owned the hotel, the Antler's Saloon and the Livery Stable."  To read a Grand County History website article titled 'McQueary Family of Middle Park', please click here.  Photograph #101

Hot Sulphur Springs - 1907


Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado - 1907

On the back of this photograph is written, "Hot Sulphur Springs About 1907."  This photograph was taken from the same vantage point as the 1890 photograph #105 above.  Note the later building addtions 17 years later including the Riverside Hotel and Riverside Hotel on Grand Avenue on the left edge of the photo; and the Grand Hotel on Aspen Street in the center right of the photo.  The Grand Hotel is the long white building with eight upstairs windows that was located across from where the Town Hall now stands.  The Kinney House Hotel is the building on the far near right edge of the photo.  Photograph #107

Hot Sulphur Springs Panorama


Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado early panorama - date unknown
 
Notes on the back of this photograph state, "Hot Sulphur Springs; Court House Frame, 1902-1938; Fish Hatchery, 1906-1916; Hotel Grand, 1910-1942; Kenney Hotel, 1875-1908; Blue Spruce Hotel, 1903-1977" assuming these are the life spans of those buildings.  This panorama was made by manually photographing four different shots then lining them up and taping them together.  With a southeasterly viewpoint from the base of Mount Bross, the hot springs is on the far right, potato hill is on the far left and the McQueary House Hotel and Stagecoach Stop to the right of the center seam.  The date of this photograph is unknown.  Photograph #115

Mitten Rock


Mitten Rock, Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado

It DOES look like a mitten. Located along the cliffs north of the Colorado River east of town above the Ute Bill Creek Road about 200 yards west of the gate at the double bridges (U.S. 40 and railroad).  Best seen heading westbound on U.S. 40 as you cross the bridge over the river.  It has been stated that there was another mitten rock on 'potato hill' south of the bridges that was removed during construction in the area.  Date of photograph is unknown.  Photographer may have been Paul Gilbert himself.  Photograph #110

First Hot Sulphur Springs School


First Hot Sulphur Springs School

On the back of this photograph is written, "1st School in HSS; In Dugout underneath Riverside [Hotel]; Lace Collar, Daisy Jenny (Horace Button's Mother) [actually sister, front row, fourth from the right].  This school is actually not the first school but where the county courthouse currently is located.  The date of the photograph is unknown and the photographer is unknown.  Photograph #103

Nate Shore on Wagon


Nate Shore on Wagon - Hot Sulphur Springs

On the back of this photograph is written, "Nate Shore".  Born in Canada in 1856, Nathanial 'Nathan' Shore ranched along the Williams Fork in Grand County and freighted to Hot Sulphur Springs and from Georgetown.  For a link to a short biography of Shore on the Grand County History website, please click here.  Mount Bross is in the background.  Date of photograph is unknown.  Photograph #109

Big Ski Jump - 1916


Big Ski Jump - Hot Sulphur Springs

Nothing is written on the back of this photograph.  On the original dust cover was a tag that read, "Skier jumping off the Big Ski Jump."  The location of this jump, which no longer exists, is on the south side of U.S. 40, roughtly behind where The Glory Hole Cafe now stands.  The Riverside Hotel is on the center left edge of the image.  Date of photograph per GCHA may be 1916.  Photograph #113